Habemus Libertatem?

Vent out liberIOS stuff here.
Requests for ETAs or 11.2+ support will be removed without warning!

Habemus Libertatem?

Postby suzughia » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:47 pm

I know that this post, maybe, could disappear but let me try to run across the border line.

The story is so simple: I'm waiting with my iX on 11.3.1 for a release of LiberiOS updated for 11.3.1, is this happen or maybe trow my faith and jailbreak with electra and its dirty hack for Cydia?

I'm just asking not for an ETA but for a possibility, if the answer is yes I will keep waiting the releasing of LiberiOS updated for iOS 11.3.1.

Thanks!
suzughia

Re: Habemus Libertatem?

Postby morpheus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Meaningful posts and not just WEN ETA don't disappear. And I'll simplify the story further -

I am no longer releasing any jailbreaks. None. All I got were flames, Cydia zealots and haters.

QiLin may or may not be updated, but LiberiOS probably won't be , simply because apparently Electra is good enough for people and this is the first I've heard anyone is actually waiting for it. If other people are waiting, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Even if Liber* do get updated, there will *never* be support for Cydia. The whole point of Liber* was to be minimalistic and not leave artifacts everywhere. It's a jailbreak the way I use it, for further research, debugging/tracing/kernel_task inspection/etc.

It Electra is good enough for you, power to you. I will not support nor condone other people's jailbreaks.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby suzughia » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Thanks for your reply.
First of all I’m waiting because Electra is not enough for me: as you said, it’s too much dirty, it modify and leaves the os too much modified for me.

I was amazed by your first version of LiberiOS because was minima and elegant but I’ve jumped the iOS 11 train with my iPhone X too late for the iOS 11.1.x jailbreak.

Lucky enough Ian Beer released another two exploit for developing a “research device”.

IMHO I’ve not enjoyed too much the move made by cool star that has started a personal found program for an iPhone X with a jailbreak as exchange - I doubt that w/o Ian beer Electra could ever be possible but this is my only opinion - and when you said on Twitter that, maybe, LiberiOS would be updated I was happy and started waiting. It was a little painful when you left Twitter but I’ve subscribed this forum and I can keep waiting.

I’m waiting for LiberiOS because I appreciate your minimal jailbreak without intrusive os modifications; and what about al those useful tools putted in /jb? Or the remove script? My nerd side told me “you must keep waiting for it”.

I don’t know if I’m alone or not

I do know how the jailbreak scene is made of poor haters that doesn’t appreciate the beauty of minimalistic jailbreak because they only want fancy tweaks for modify the UI or make it make some strange pivot etc etc. I can’t stand against them all but for me your works, either if u did LiberiOS for the scene and just as an hobby in your free time, are what I want and what I’m waiting for. Thanks for all your effort, for your Moxi Volumes, and also for the earlier book.
suzughia

Postby GeoSn0w » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Another solution may be QiLin!
You can check QiLin Toolkit by Jonathan. It allows you to use the same exploits by Ian Beer used in Electra to pretty much build your own LiberiOS Jailbreak from scratch. Not only you do not have to wait or to use Electra but you also learn a ton because QiLin is highly documented by Jonathan and made quite easy with examples. I have two videos on Jailbreak DIY using QiLin that you can check out.

In summary, here's a bill of materials so to speak:
* QiLin ToolKit available here: http://newosxbook.com/QiLin/
* QiLin's documentation (explains every nook and cranny of QiLin and its techniques. Useful if you wanna dive deeper than calling a function): http://newosxbook.com/QiLin/qilin.pdf
* You will need a binary pack as QiLin does not provide one by default. Jonathan's Bin pack is my recommended one. It is available here: http://newosxbook.com/tools/iOSBinaries.html
* You need the mptcp exploit: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zer ... il?id=1558
* Or empty_list if you don't have a developer account: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zer ... il?id=1564
* Xcode: Available in the macOS App Store for Free.

The QiLin page (http://newosxbook.com/QiLin/) provides the Object (.o) file and the Header (.h) you have to drop in your Xcode project, as well as a good example, the liberTV which is very similar.
You can check my Osiris Jailbreak on GitHub. It is based on QiLin and you may be able to get an idea from there on how to put them together.

I also have started a series on YouTube on how to build a jailbreak with QiLin from scratch but I have to check with Jonathan before I add links to my channel here (I don't want it to look like selfish plugs).

Can I ^%$%^^%$ my device beyond repair if I try this?
A: No. The worst you can do is to modify system files in which case you may bootloop (avoid modifying anything you don't know, iOS is very sensitive with its system integrity).
The binary pack should be dropped in /jb or other user-defined folders. NEVER on /bin or any system folder. This way you can keep it clean, easily removable and you avoid replacing a system binary (instance which can and will result in a bootloop).
To keep it short, there is nothing you can do to $%#$ the device unless you start messing with system files or replacing binaries. Even in that instance, you would bootloop but you would still be able to restore through iTunes although it would be the latest iOS version.

To keep it short: QiLin makes it quite easy to build your own jailbreak with minimal coding skills, you learn a ton and you get to build the jailbreak you want. Nothing stops you from adding other binaries that you may need to the bin pack as long as:
a) They are properly signed and entitled (jtool is your friend - available here: http://www.newosxbook.com/tools/jtool.html)
b) They are the correct architecture (AARCH64).

I hope this answer helps.
GeoSn0w

Postby suzughia » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 pm

@GeoSn0w thanks for ur reply, let me respond tomorrow from the Mac :)
suzughia

Postby saltthehash » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:54 am

@GeoSn0w Thanks for the awesome post! I've been waiting for a 11.3.1 release as well (for research purposes, could not care less about tweaks) but honestly it sounds like a lot more fun (and a really good learning experience) to try to make it from (semi-)scratch using J's QiLin and Ian's sploits. I've been spending much of my time reversing libxpc (@morpehus you've made it pretty clear this is worth while!) but this sounds like another fun project to take on.
saltthehash

Postby suzughia » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 am

GeoSn0w wrote:Another solution may be QiLin!
You can check QiLin Toolkit by Jonathan. It allows you to use the same exploits by Ian Beer used in Electra to pretty much build your own LiberiOS Jailbreak from scratch. Not only you do not have to wait or to use Electra but you also learn a ton because QiLin is highly documented by Jonathan and made quite easy with examples. I have two videos on Jailbreak DIY using QiLin that you can check out.

[...]

I hope this answer helps.

First of all I would really thanks you for your "mini" tutorial and the time you spent writing it.

I was aware that was possible to "build" its own jb because I've just seen a tweet you made about something similar, if I remember right.

The point is that I'm not so confident with those level of skill, but if say that is possible also for a newbie, i could try - only in my spare time - but I've got a M.A. in Philosophy and all of those are my goodies, not offending anyone works as I admire J.L. works and books either if I can't comprehend them deeply.

I'm not a security expert but I love to play with my own gadgets and I can see if a program is well written of is bigger and complex over the necessary, Electra seems this to me.

I'm not talking about the part involved into the starting of the project and the lack of "support" as for now - probably one major update when Sileo will be out but dunno -. At the time when the first electra was released I was a partisan of LiberiOS and its cleaner and much useful tool than the tweaks integration of Electra, nowadays I'm more confident that all I want is a stable and minimal jailbreak that won't mess with iOS as, either if I've saved blobs with particular nonces I don't want to future restore.

This is my 2 cents for the waiting time for an updated version of LiberiOS - not with the VFS bug but with MCTPC one (dunno if I spelled it correctly) if possibile - a part from dev cert -.

my 2 cents.
suzughia

Postby GeoSn0w » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:01 am

Yeah, QiLin is pretty easy to use even with minimal C/C++ skills. The in-depth documentation J wrote makes it quite accessible. I just wish it was kept updated.
I think once you get in the flow you can use it quite easily. :)
GeoSn0w

Return to liber iOS