Remove JB from Apple TV 4K

Issues relating to the upcoming LiberTV TvOS < 11.2 JB. NO MORON "wen eta" though - unless you want to be banned.
Forum rules
  • NO IDIOTIC QUESTIONS ABOUT "WEN ETA JB".
  • Read the FAQ before asking.
  • Otherwise, open discussion and/or requests welcome.

Re: Remove JB from Apple TV 4K

Postby jakesamuals » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi guys, I need to update my box (ATV 4k on 11.0) to get some newer apps (11.2 or higher required). I will hope for a future 12.x jailbreak. I removed my 11.0 jailbreak as per the instructions here. I then proceed to download and install the latest tvOS version. The progress bar completes but the install fails. Do I need to reset to factory settings in order to do this? I was hoping to do just the update and avoid having to set the box up again as new.
jakesamuals

Postby blah555 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:13 pm

jakesamuals wrote:Hi guys, I need to update my box (ATV 4k on 11.0) to get some newer apps (11.2 or higher required). I will hope for a future 12.x jailbreak. I removed my 11.0 jailbreak as per the instructions here. I then proceed to download and install the latest tvOS version. The progress bar completes but the install fails. Do I need to reset to factory settings in order to do this? I was hoping to do just the update and avoid having to set the box up again as new.

If you're updating your device just for app compatibility, its honestly not worth toasting your freedom for that. (especially with LiberTV being stable and working well on tvOS 11.0 for 4K)

But if you don't care and really want to update, just put your device into recovery mode and update via iTunes.

As for future jailbreaks, you're going to be waiting a LONG time for that to come around (if its even possible by then). My advice to you is, don't update anything (firmware nor apps) and keep the freedom as stable as it is now.
blah555

Postby jakesamuals » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks, I did a factory restore, the 4k cannot be updated with iTunes as far as I know. The app I needed is for live sports content, without it I have to airplay via my iphone which isn't as ideal since the framerate is choppy at times.

I do have 3 other boxes on 11.0 and 11.1 still. But without NitoTV for the 4k it hasn't been as fruitful from a non-developer level. I will probably update one more box and keep 2 for the future if anything more develops.
jakesamuals

Previous

Return to LiberTV