jtool and Intel Disassembly

Used for discussing the various tools in the book as well as encouraging members to share tools

jtool and Intel Disassembly

Postby acheronfail » Wed May 30, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi there,

I've been using a combination of `otool`, `radare2` and `nm` lately for general disassembling tasks, and have recently found that `jtool` gives me much better, and more precise output than the aforementioned tools! Nice job, I really like it!

One thing that is a limitation for me though, is that `jtool` doesn't (yet?) support intel disassembly. When I try to disassemble a method I get the following:

Code: Select all
jtool -d MyClass:myMethod /path/to/binary
Intel Disassembly not supported yet. Patience, little grasshopper (you can, however, dump __TEXT.__cstring, and CFStrings)

I would like to know if Intel Disassembly is on the roadmap for `jtool`? Or perhaps for `jtool2`?
This tool has proven invaluble for me so far!
acheronfail

Re: jtool and Intel Disassembly

Postby morpheus » Wed May 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Thank you for the kind words! But I'm sorry to disappoint - no Intel planned because A) I write my own disassembler, and implementing Intel parsing is WAY too time consuming. B) Main focus is for iOS binaries. I do have a wrapper (ojtool) over otool to bring some of its features in, though.

If you have any specific requests for ways I can best radare and the like, please let me know. I'm always happy to add features.

(And, yes, jtool2 is on the way).
morpheus
Site Admin

Re: jtool and Intel Disassembly

Postby acheronfail » Wed May 30, 2018 9:25 pm

morpheus wrote:Thank you for the kind words! But I'm sorry to disappoint - no Intel planned because A) I write my own disassembler, and implementing Intel parsing is WAY too time consuming. B) Main focus is for iOS binaries. I do have a wrapper (ojtool) over otool to bring some of its features in, though.

Understandable! Appreciate the reply.
I figured that it probably wouldn't be on the way, writing a disassembler is no simple task.

morpheus wrote: If you have any specific requests for ways I can best radare and the like, please let me know. I'm always happy to add features.

Well, in regards to stripping objc and generating headers and such, IMO jtool is already way ahead of radare2. :D
acheronfail

Return to Tools