ePub Version

Wherein links to *OS related articles will be posted (alongside the RSS), and you are welcome to ask any questions or post any comments.

ePub Version

Postby belonky » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:50 am

Are there really no ePub versions of the trilogy? I was about to purchase them until I realized they were only available in print form…
belonky

Re: ePub Version

Postby morpheus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:16 am

There are none. First, ePub destroys formatting , which requires larges pages because of the huge listings and illustrations. Second, every time I think about making a PDF version, some $%#$%$# goes on Twitter and mentions how much they want to pirate my books. Sorry, people. I worked too hard on this trilogy to give it away to unappreciative #%$%#s who copy with a click.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby belonky » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 am

I can’t speak to other people’s behavior, but the irony is that while I would’ve been *happy* to have paid full price for such an incredible and clearly laboriously compiled resource, I sought to pirate it only BECAUSE there wasn’t a digital version available for sale legitimately.

From a creator’s perspective, my view on piracy is this: Yeah, it’s disheartening, and it sucks, but ultimately I don’t believe that pirated copies cannibalize legitimate sales, i.e., a pirated copy would most likely *not* have been a legitimate sale had the pirated version not been available (and the limited research on the subject seems to bear this out). So if you can separate yourself from the emotional gut reaction and approach it purely pragmatically, I wouldn’t be too concerned about piracy.

In any case, I would *love* a digital copy, and you have my word that I certainly wouldn’t share it—but PDFs are incredibly unwieldy to read on iPad. Have you considered making an iBooks Author version and distributing it exclusively through iBookstore? Yes, Apple would take a cut, but you’d mostly avoid the risk of piracy since AFAIK there aren’t any public cracks for iBooks DRM. And that way you’d have full control over formatting…
belonky

Postby morpheus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 pm

I can’t speak to other people’s behavior, but the irony is that while I would’ve been *happy* to have paid full price for such an incredible and clearly laboriously compiled resource, I sought to pirate it only BECAUSE there wasn’t a digital version available for sale legitimately

So.. you admit you were looking to pirate the PDF and then say if you a PDF you won't pirate it? How reassuring.

Your view is respected, but unfortunately I can not only dispute it, I can disprove it. The Android book sales went to **ABSOLUTE** zero once the pirated copy that WikiLeaks leaked came out. This is despite my cutting the price significantly. And the original 1st Ed sales - the legitimate PDF sold exactly - get this - 538 copies.

So while you wouldn't be concerned about piracy, I dare say I am. Only because I've been hit by it - not once , but twice. I can keep on being naïve and spreading my work so it's pirated, or I can do the RIGHT thing, which is give PLENTY of stuff away for free (entire book chapters, tools), but expect people to have the decency to reward my **EXCRUCIATING** work by forking some money for it.

J
morpheus
Site Admin

Return to Articles and Feedback